* Let's begin with these words from Thomas Merton's book New Seeds of Contemplation. "Nothing is more suspicious in a man who seems holy, than an impatient desire to reform other men...Renounce the futile concern with other men's affairs. Pay as little attention as you can to the fault of other people and none at all to their natural defects and eccentricities."
* My friend Buddy, the camp cat, has been sick. He has an ear and eye infection. Thankfully we have a kind-hearted officer here who took him to a "cat lady" who then took him to a Veterinarian. He just returned and is better, but his eyes are still runny and he can't hear. Please pray for Buddy. Yeah, I'm asking you to pray for a cat. However, I also understand there's a 99.9% probability it's not even close to the weirdest thing you've ever done.
* Several weeks ago, President Trump pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby who was convicted in 2007 of perjury and obstruction of justice based on charges brought by then Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald. Libby was Vice President Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff. It's about time. Libby never lied. He never obstructed justice. His conviction was a travesty, as the only witness against him later recanted her testimony. Trump did the right thing here, unlike our two previous presidents who also knew he was innocent. Bush, before leaving office, at least commuted his sentence. For 8 years, Obama did nothing.
* The Bureau of Prisons has just published its average cost to house an inmate for the FYE 09/30/17. It cost $99.45 per day or about $36,300 per year. That's an increase of almost 5% over the FYE 09/30/2016, despite a hiring freeze. Thank you taxpayers. As someone who had firsthand knowledge of the quality of BoP room and board during both years, I can unequivocally say that our government vastly overpaid.
* As Molly Ivans used to remind us, "freedom fighters don't always win, but they are always right."
* Jana Leigh Jones Rundle, my most excellent Editor At Large, turns 34 tomorrow. Without her, this blog would not exist. So if you feel it's sophomoric and self-serving, blame her.